On Remembrance Day, November 11, 1984, Father Abello, S.J., addressed Calgary Pro-Life. In early December he spoke also at Edmonton’s Francis Xavier High School on abortion and it’s link to contraception.
– In Edmonton, Edmonton Pro-Life and Campaign Life are looking for a central pro-life office.
– In Spruce Grove, an Edmonton satellite town, a new group has been organized called C.H.I.L.D. (Citizens Helping in Life’s Defense). It has distributed its first newsletter.
– In Edmonton itself a group of Christians (a combination of Baptists, Evangelicals and Catholics) are planning a city-wide pamphlet blitz for February or March 1985.
– Jane Hagerty of Life Ethics Centre, St. Joseph’s College, University of Alberta, had her first debate on ITV’S “Nightline” with Linda Richardson of “Abortion by Choice” as her opponent. Life Ethics Centre also distributed 9,000 “Jury for Life” Cards (obtained from Winnipeg via Elsie Alexander of Lethbridge Pro-Life) and then an additional 12,000 audio-visuals across the province: Ten Years After (CBC), Conceived in Liberty, Abortion Double Speak, Slippery Slope (Gerretsen), Where have all the Children gone? (Toronto Right to Life), Caring-pearson Slides and the latest video, Everyday Miracle Birth.
– The Catholic Human Life Foundation opened its “Pregnancy Crisis Centre” in Edmonton, across from the University hospital, in late November