By Michael Trolly
The Interim

On Tuesday, April 18, Campaign Life Coalition Youth (CLCY) held its first major event, a candlelight vigil that united pro-life Canadian youth from coast to coast. The demonstrations took place between eight and nine o’clock in the evening, local time, regardless of weather, in front of a hospital that commits abortions. The National Campus Life Network and other pro-life groups lent their support in the organization of the event.

The press release sent out by CLCY said that “Youth are gathering to witness that innocent, preborn children are killed at these hospitals daily and that Canada’s future is threatened by abortion. The absence of law on abortion is not going to be tolerated by Canada’s life-loving youth.” Tanya Granic, national director of CLCY, said, “Sure, university exams are happening and high school projects are due, but can we not afford to spend one hour for those aborted babies who aren’t even granted one second?”

Although the event was organized in a short period of time, it was a large success. In St. Catharines, Ont. the vigil attracted approximately 50 people – including a family from Buffalo, N.Y. Winnipeg also had a large vigil, with about 30 people. London, Ont. had fifteen people, and they reported that the community was “very supportive.”

In Toronto there were ten people taking part in the vigil. Despite the presence of 12 counter-protesters chanting pro-abortion slogans, the vigil participants report that there were good responses from people driving past. At a small vigil in Grand Prairie, Alta., a young male passerby destroyed the pro-life signs, and threatened to assault the two pro-life demonstrators. They reported, however, that by remaining peaceful they were able to calm him down and have a constructive conversation with him.

Organizers in British Columbia were expecting a large counter-protest; however, only two abortion supporters showed up. Recently a pro-life display called the Genocide Awareness Project at the University of British Columbia was destroyed by protesters, including several members of the student government. Police refused to press charges.